Now that my fall decorations are put away, and December is right around the corner, I have started thinking about baking and getting ready for Christmas get togethers. This is a recipe that I’ve made many times for Christmas parties. It may look difficult, but it isn’t at all. If I can do it, anyone can! It is a fun and festive way to present a cheese ball. I always like recipes that double as decorations, and make your table look festive.
This cheese ball doesn’t have a lot of ingredients, but packs a lot of flavor. If you like bacon, Parmesan cheese, and green onion, you will love this appetizer. Whether you are hosting a party, or just have to bring a dish to a pot luck, this recipe is perfect!
PINE CONE CHEESE BALL
2 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 c mayonnaise
- 1/3 c grated Parmesan cheese
- 10 crisply cooked bacon slices, crumbled
- 1/4 c green onion slices
- 3 c raw whole almonds
- pine tree branches for garnish (you can get these at Christmas tree lots)
- Combine cream cheese and mayonnaise, mixing until well blended and there are no lumps.
- Add Parmesan cheese, crumbled bacon, and green onions, and mix well.
- Place mixture on a piece of plastic wrap, and using a spoon, form into the shape of a pine cone. Fold plastic wrap around the pine cone shape, and refrigerate.
- When cream cheese pine cone is well chilled, take off plastic wrap, and place on large plate.
- Starting at the bottom of the pine cone shape, poke almonds into the cream cheese in rows, overlapping the rows just a little bit. Make sure the pointy side of the almond is pointing towards the bottom of the pine cone cheese ball.
- Keep placing almonds in rows all the way to the top. Take the real pine branches and place them near the top of the cheese ball, to mimic tree branches. Surround the pine cone with crackers.
- Cover plate with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Take out of the refrigerator 30 minutes before needed to allow the cream cheese to soften.