Because of the new year starting, I have been reflecting on my cooking goals for the year. One of them is to find delicious new recipes for homemade salad dressing. When I made homemade dressing last year, it was so much better than store-bought, I knew it would be hard to go back to bottled dressings. It really doesn’t take that long to make them, and they store for a long time in the refrigerator. Plus, you are not getting ingredients that you have never heard of and may not be good for you. Because of this goal, I recently saw this recipe on Can’t Stay Out of the Kitchen’s blog, and could not stop thinking about it until I made it. It was even better than I imagined.
It reminded me of eating an Italian submarine sandwich except without the bread, which is even better! The dressing contains oregano which gives it so much flavor. If you like green olives and swiss cheese, or sub sandwiches, I think you will love this salad. The only thing I did differently from Teresa’s recipe was to add purple onion slices just because it sounded good that day. Overall, I think this is a pretty low-calorie salad. Unless you eat the whole thing by yourself. Not that I know anyone who would do that…. It does contain ham, but not a lot, and you could substitute a lower calorie meat if you prefer. It would even make a good main dish because of the protein in it.
If you are looking for more wonderful recipes, check out Teresa’s blog, Can’t Stay Out of the Kitchen. She has so many delicious recipes on there and provides many pictures of the step by step process for each one. She will also be posting a lot of gluten-free recipes this year. In addition, if you ever need a cookie recipe, her blog is the one to go to.
I have so many other cooking goals this year, I can’t wait to try them. Some of them include discovering more Italian and Mexican dishes, learning how to bake bread and rolls, and finding the absolute best cupcake recipes. What are your cooking goals this year? I would love to hear what they are!
COLUMBIA RESTAURANT’S “1905” SALAD
4 c iceberg lettuce (about 1 head), chopped
- 1 tomato cut into eighths
- 1/2 cup baked ham, julienned
- 1/2 c Swiss cheese, julienned
- 1/2 c pimiento-stuffed Spanish olives
- “1905” dressing (see recipe below)
- 1/2 c Romano cheese, grated
- 1 lemon
- 2 T Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce
- Combine lettuce, tomatoes, ham, Swiss cheese, and olives in salad bowl.
- Before serving, add “1905” dressing, Romano cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and the juice of one lemon.
- Toss well and serve immediately.
- Grind black pepper over top of salads, if desired.
- Makes 2 full salads or 4 side salads.
1/2 c extra virgin olive oil (I used half olive oil and half canola)
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. dried oregano
1/8 c white wine vinegar (I increased this to 1/4 c)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix oil, garlic, and oregano in a bowl with a wire whisk.
- Stir in vinegar, gradually beating to form an emulsion.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- For best results, prepare one to two days in advance and refrigerate. (I didn’t, and it still tasted great).