It seems with the hot weather, all I want to eat are salads and ice cream. Since it probably wouldn’t be the best thing for me to have ice cream every night for dinner, I am trying to focus on the salads. (Trying being the key word here). Recently I found a wonderful new dressing recipe on Jamie Cooks It Up! for Raspberry Vinaigrette. Jaime has so many fantastic recipes on her blog. I just love it. This dressing has become one of our favorites. It is as beautiful in color as it is in taste.
This recipe has a little bit of sweetness to it, but it isn’t overly sweet. My husband even liked it, and he usually doesn’t like sweet salad dressings (unlike me who recently tried a chocolate vinaigrette at a local restaurant – more on that in a later post). This raspberry vinaigrette dressing is perfect on a salad of raspberries, slivered almonds, feta, and purple onion. The combination of ingredients is like having summer on a plate.
This recipe reminds me of my friend, Kay, who lives in Washington State. When I went to visit her a couple summers ago, there were berry stands on every corner, it seemed. They weren’t the shriveled up, sometimes moldy, and tart berries you get in grocery stores here, but big, beautiful, plump, sweet berries that had just been picked. Being an Arizona girl, this was just amazing to me. I know Kay really likes raspberries and raspberry dressing, so this recipe is for you, Kay – a slightly sweet raspberry vinaigrette for a very sweet friend.
Raspberry, Almond, and Feta Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette
For the Salad:
1/2 of a 5 oz. bag of baby romaine lettuce
- 1/2 of a 5 oz. bag of mixed baby lettuces
- 1/2 c of toasted or raw slivered almonds (Trader Joe’s sells these)
- 1 c fresh raspberries
- 1/4 to 1/2 c feta
- 1/3 to 1/2 of a purple onion, very thinly sliced
- Raspberry Vinaigrette Salad Dressing (see recipe below)
- In a large bowl, toss 2 kinds of lettuces together. Place desired amount of lettuce combination on individual salad plates, one for each person who will be eating.
- Layer rest of ingredients on top of each plate of lettuce except for dressing. At this point, salad can be refrigerated until ready to eat.
- Just before serving, pour desired amount of dressing on each salad plate. Do not toss. (Because of the color and delicacy of the berries, this salad looks terrible after tossing it. It is one of the few salads that is better not tossed.)
- Refrigerate any leftover dressing.
For the Dressing:
- 1 red onion (you will only need part of it)
- 3 T raspberry jam
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1/2 c plus 2 T red wine vinegar
- 1 T honey mustard (you can find this in with all the other mustards)
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 c vegetable oil
- 1 T poppy seeds
- Dice the onion. Place 3 T into a blender.
- Add 3 T raspberry jam, 1/4 c sugar, 1/2 c plus 2 T of red wine vinegar, 1 T honey mustard, and 1/2 tsp. of salt on top of the onion. Blend until well combined.
- Add 1/2 c oil to the blending jar, just a little bit at a time, blending after each portion is added. If you add all of the oil at once, the dressing will be really thin and runny. Just add about 2 T and blend after each addition.
- Add 1 T poppy seeds to the dressing, and stir it in with a spoon. Don’t blend the poppy seeds in, just give them a nice stir. Serve over a salad of your choice and enjoy. Store in refrigerator.
Recipe courtesy of Jamie Cooks It Up!