Each Christmas I like to do a homemade food gift for friends and neighbors. Every year I pick something different to make. Last year I made Hot Chocolate on a Stick. This year I wanted to try making the Chai Tea Mix that someone had given me. Are you a fan of chai tea? I didn’t think I was until I tasted this recipe for Vanilla Chai Tea Latte. It is so creamy and full of vanilla flavor that it absolutely converted me. It has all the spices of traditional chai tea, but is a little more subtle. And the texture is similar to the creaminess of hot chocolate. Add a little bit of whipped cream, and it is the perfect thing to warm you up on a cold winter’s night.
If you need a last-minute gift for friends, neighbors, or co-workers, this would be perfect because it is so quick to make. You just dump all the ingredients into a food processor and turn it on until the mixture is a fine, smooth powder. At this point your kitchen will smell wonderful. Then pour into a pretty glass or tin container, attach a label, and you are done. I just love all of the chalk board labels out right now. I found mine at Michael’s.
And have you seen the new chalk board pens? It is basically liquid chalk that you write with like a pen. They are very fun to use, they come out a little darker, and you can erase them just like regular chalk.
How are you doing with your shopping? That always seems to be the last thing I get done. Not because I don’t like to shop, but because I can never decide what to get anyone. My kids are older and 2 of the 3 don’t live at home anymore, so it has gotten even harder to know what they would like. A lot of times, because I am not a techie, I don’t even know what it is when they tell me. Or where to get it. When all else fails, I end up getting them clothes. But for some reason, my excellent taste in fashion doesn’t seem to align with theirs!:) Maybe that is why I like to do food gifts for friends and neighbors. I know I always appreciate it when someone gives me something homemade. I hope this helps you with any last-minute gifts you need or just a good mix to have on hand over the holidays when you have company. I might even put some in my kids’ stockings. It will go a long way towards cheering them up when they see the clothes I bought them!
Vanilla Chai Tea Latte Mix
- 3 c nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 1 c unsweetened instant tea (I used Lipton)
- 3/4 c French Vanilla powdered nondairy creamer (I used Nestle Coffee-Mate brand which gave it that great vanilla flavor)
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom (warning: this is a little expensive, but you can get 12 gifts out of it plus have some left for recipes)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- whipped cream – optional for garnish
- In a food processor, or blender, combine all dry ingredients (it’s a good idea to pre-mix in a large mixing bowl with a spoon). Cover and process until powdery. Can be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to six months.
- If using as gifts, pour 3/4 cup of the mix into a jar or tin. Label with serving instructions below.
Serving Instructions: Stir 3-4 Tbsp. into 3/4 cup of hot water. Dollop with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon if desired.
Recipe from Cook AZ I Do, found on Life is a Prayer.com
P.S. In case you need another idea here is a food gift that is quick and easy to make and everyone just loves to get:
For more inspiration, check out the Food Gift category. I hope this helps make your holiday preparations easier!