If you like Mounds or Almond Joy candy bars, you are going to love this recipe! It tastes like a mounds candy bar ran into a brownie, only better because the chocolate on top of the coconut layer is so thick and dark. They are extremely rich so a 9×13 pan will go a long way. I highly advise eating some, and then getting them out of the house immediately by sharing them with your friends and neighbors because they are very addicting. Plus your neighbors will love you for it. Your friends will be friends for life, and your neighbors will never want to move away once you give them one of these brownies!:)
Even though this recipe has 3 layers, it is pretty simple to make. The top ganache layer is just melted cream and chocolate chips. The heavenly middle layer is a mixture of coconut, sweetened condensed milk, and powdered sugar. And, for the bottom layer you can use a box brownie mix or your favorite brownie recipe, depending on how much time you have. I was making these for a family get together, all of a sudden the schedule changed, and my family was coming over 2 hours earlier than planned. From that point on, I decided on the box mix even though that wasn’t my original intention. By the way, I think Ghiradelli dark fudge brownie mix is a great way to go. They pretty much taste like homemade.
You can see now why these brownies are hard to resist. I don’t know which layer I like better, the dark chocolate ganache, the coconutty frosting layer, or the fudgy brownie on the bottom. There were quite a bit of brownies still in the pan after my family left the other night. Instead of giving the rest of the batch away this time, I put them in the freezer for my company that is coming in a couple of weeks. I really hope they will still be there when she finally arrives. And it isn’t my kids or my husband I’m worried will eat them!
Almond Joy Brownies
1 (9×13) pan of brownies, prepared (homemade or using a store-bought mix – I used 2 (18 oz.) Ghiradelli Fudge Brownie mixes)
- 1 pkg. (5 1/3 cups) sweetened coconut
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk (I used Eagle Brand)
- 1 c heavy whipping cream
- 1 (10 oz.) pkg. dark chocolate chips
- Prepare 9×13-inch pan of brownies and let cool completely. (If using Ghiradelli Fudge Brownies, set chocolate packets aside for another use).
- In the bowl of your mixer, combine coconut, sweetened condensed milk, and powdered sugar until all ingredients are incorporated. Set aside.
- Pour chocolate chips in a medium size heat proof bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, heat cream while stirring until it just starts to boil. Immediately take off heat and pour over chocolate chips. Don’t stir. Set timer for 10 minutes.
- When timer goes off, stir chocolate chip cream mixture (ganache) until smooth and shiny. Set aside to cool.
- When brownies and chocolate mixture are both cool, spread coconut mixture evenly over brownies. Pour chocolate ganache mixture over the top of the coconut frosting and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Cover brownies and chill in refrigerator until chocolate is set. When ready to serve, let brownies sit out a few minutes for easier cutting. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Coconut frosting recipe from Katrina’s Kitchen