Jeff and I have date night every Tuesday night. We don’t really make a big production out of it. Most of the time, Jeff will bring home a bottle of wine, we eat dinner together, and watch our favorite T.V. show. I try to make something Jeff enjoys for dinner, light candles, turn on some favorite music while we eat, and make a point of eating at the table so we can talk without distractions. It gives us a chance to focus on each other for a little while. We both look forward to it. Sometimes I will make pizza because I know he really likes it, and it goes great with wine. I am kind of picky about pizza. I love Pizza Hut because the sauce is so flavorful. This sauce is very similar to Pizza Hut’s sauce. It is thick, and rich, and
full of flavor due to all of the seasonings, onion, and garlic.
You can have a batch made up in about 30 minutes, and then all you have to do is roll out your pizza dough and spread it on.
Then start adding the toppings. We both like the Supreme Pizza from Pizza Hut which includes bell pepper,
Then just put it in the oven for about 20 minutes, and you have a mouth-watering, amazing pizza perfect for date night, family game night, or any time you are craving pizza.
I recently heard a story about a couple who felt like they were doing pretty well in their marriage. They had been having date night once a week, but decided to stop it as their life was so busy. After a year without date night, things between them had fallen apart, so they decided maybe their date nights were why they had a good marriage. They then decided to have 2 date nights a week! I think 2 might be pushing it a little for us, but one night a week has worked out really well. I don’t know if that has contributed to our marriage, but why take a chance and mess with a good thing? Especially if it involves pizza! :)
Homemade Pizza Sauce and Supreme Pizza
For the Sauce:
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 oz.) can tomatoes, undrained, and chopped
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. crushed oregano leaves
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions and saute until limp.
- Reduce heat to medium low, and add minced garlic. Cook, stirring often, until garlic is cooked, about 5 minutes. Watch carefully so garlic doesn’t brown.
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer uncovered for 15 – 20 minutes until liquid is reduced a little.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Set aside until ready to use.
For the Supreme Pizza:
- 1 pizza crust, homemade or store-bought (Trader Joe’s has good pizza dough)
- 1 batch of homemade pizza sauce
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 pound hot or regular pork Italian sausage, cooked
- 1 purple or yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 8 oz. mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 jar Kalamata olives or 1 can black olives sliced in half
- 8 oz. mozzarella cheese, grated
- Preheat oven according to recipe or package directions.
- Sprinkle flour over flat surface, and roll out pizza dough to desired thickness.
- Place dough on large cookie sheet or pizza pan.
- Spread sauce over dough leaving a half-inch border around the edges.
- Layer bell pepper, sausage, onion, mushrooms, and olives on top of sauce.
- Sprinkle cheese over all.
- Bake according to recipe or package directions. (I used a piece of foil tented over pizza until last 10 minutes so cheese wouldn’t burn.)
- Let sit for 5 minutes, then slice into pieces, and serve immediately.
Recipe from Cook AZ I Do, obtained originally from my friend Betsy Duzan